EME2040 Blog Journal #3

 1. Copyright is a type of intellectual property that gives the creator of an original work, or another owner of the right, the exclusive, legally secured right to copy, distribute, adapt, display, and perform a creative work, usually for a limited time. Fair use is the right to use copyrighted material without permission or payment under some circumstances—especially when the cultural or social benefits of the use are predominant. It is a general right that applies even in situations where the law provides no specific authorization for the use in question—as it does for certain narrowly defined classroom activities. I believe the first step in tackling copyright and fair use as a teacher in the classroom is to educate my students. When assigning homework, projects, etc. for my students they need to understand the importance of turning in their own work and the guidelines of copy right and fair use. As a teacher, I will set a good example by following these rules myself and showing my students how. I would teach my students how to research, paraphrase, use pictures, etc. in terms of copyright and fair use. Copy right and fair use can be complicated, so it's important we practice this in multiple settings. 

2. Technology implements an issue of academic dishonesty, committing or contributing to dishonest acts by those engaged in teaching, learning, research, and related academic activities. With technology at the tips of our fingers, it is tempting for one to plagiarize or use unauthorized resources during assessments. I will first educate my students on the academic dishonesty policy. Upon their understanding, I will have them sign a contract statin that they will comply. In order to combat this issue, I will hold only in person exams. I will also use proctors, depending on year and the size of the classroom. If my class was online, I would use a proctoring service such as honor lock. There are sites that test for plagiarizing that I would use to check my students' homework, projects, etc. I would also check works between students for similarities. 

3. I don't believe that I will implement any generative AI (e.g., ChatGPT) in my classrooms. Depending on the year/subject, that I teach i don't believe it is necessary. While I do believe there are some pros to generative AI, I don't find it necessary to be used in the classroom. I think that generative AI may accidentally promote academic dishonesty and that will be hard to manage. I will have in my academic honesty contract that generative AI shall not be used for any works done in my classroom. I'm not sure if generative AI is helping or hurting students learning. I believe that a little bot of both is a possibility, but it is too early to tell. I think that it depends how students are using generative AI, but that is difficult to regulate. Therefore, I would rather not use it in my classroom at all. 

4. I really enjoyed working on my newsletter! It has been my favorite assignment so far. I like that it allowed for me to be creative and show my dreams for my future classroom. I learned how to create a permission slip (that's filled in and shows it should be cut out), use the column function, create a functioning hyperlink, and create a functioning email link on Word. In the future, I would like to improve my newsletter by having more relevant information and creating a better cover letter. These skills can be used when I actually make newsletters/have to send out information and/or have to make graphics for my classroom.




Comments

  1. Good work for your newsletter! You proposed good ways to deal with academic dishonesty in both online and inperson contexts. Good job, Grace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment